Friday, April 07, 2006

LISP in multimedia ?

With Srk raving about LISP at the slightest opportunity,I was wondering whats so special about it.So decided to have a look at it.Have been going through it, since yesterday.Even downloaded a decent LISP development tool and started off through some online documents and tutorials.Having been used to "imperative programming" for almost 5 years now (since college),found LISP's "functional programming" paradigm totally new.Though I could manage to write very small fragments of code,must admit,still haven't got the hang of it.For instance,things like,how much similar data and procedure are.More about that here.

As a passing thought, was just wondering if LISP could find any application in the multimedia domain (Here,I am mainly referring to applications involving audio and video).Especially, considering that I saw comments about how inefficient LISP is.And how,most multimedia applications require real-time performance. In these scenarios, "abstraction" is the last thing you want,and that, primarily being LISP's USP.So, may be this question itself is a wrong one to ask and totally out of context.
But still,is there something that multimedia can achieve through LISP, that it currently is not able to,being limited by its choice of language.I really don't know.Maybe,only time will tell.

3 comments:

Karthik said...

I don't think lisp is the language of choice for anything and everything. I rather see it as something which any programmer should know for the sake of learning basic computer science (not just abstraction) and the approach towards problem solving.

Found this quote interesting:
"Lisp is worth learning for the profound enlightenment experience you will have when you finally get it; that experience will make you a better programmer for the rest of your days, even if you never actually use Lisp itself a lot."
- Eric Raymond, "How to Become a Hacker"

P.S.: Keep trying ... you just might find something of use to that domain too...

Krishna said...

Yes,a very interesting quote there.
Infact,I remember having read it before, in one of your earlier posts :).

rash said...

well, small world indeed. just last week, I started reading SICP after a lot of fore-thought. Is Lisp the language God would have used to implement the universe? I don't know ; but I'm hoping to find out. Anyways, is one site that inspired me.